Sunday, September 7, 2014

Opals and Farley

One day, Peter was watching a documentary and discovered that there was this certain area in Idaho that was heavily concentrated with Opals.  After a bit of research, he discovered that one of these areas was in Spencer, which is only an hour north from us, and they offered mining for the public.  After mentioning this to me, we both decided that it would be a lot of fun to go.  So after planning to go one weekend, then another, then another, we finally put our foot down and went this weekend.  

The town itself isn't really much to brag about.  With a population of 30-40 people, it's easy to say that we've never been in a town this small.  And we've been to quite a few tiny towns!




When we got there, we were greeted by a man, which I'm assuming is the owner of the mine/gas station/cafe/souvenir shop, who was very nice and helpful in showing us what to look for when we start hacking away at some rocks.  It was fun hunting for some Opals and it was quite a good stress reliever as well, I must say.


And we found some!  I didn't think we would come home with anything, but we got home with quite a few nuggets.  Now we just need to decide what to do with them.


 It was a lot of fun spending some time with Peter outside of Rexburg.  But, like some weekends, we stay here while everyone else goes out of town.  Lori, Lisa, and Zach went out of town and we got to watch Farley while they were away.  Peter loves cats but most people that know me know of my intense loathing for cats.  There are very few cats that I get along with. Very. Few.  When Lori first brought Milo, I thought maybe I could change my attitude towards his kind.  But, as cute as he was (bless his heart),  he didn't really help their case much.  Farley, however, was a very good cat to be around and helped me change my borderline hatred to just a strong dislike for felines.








I still think dogs are infinitely better than cats (so much better!).  But Farley was an exceptionally good cat.  It was fun having a little buddy to hang out with us at night and to see a cute face when I got home from work (aside from Peter's, of course). And he's one of the few that I look forward to seeing again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment