Friday, September 30, 2011

And the calling goes to...

Another busy week has come and gone, full of fun surprises and yet more stress to come with everyday work and school. It all started on Sunday when the member of our bishopric called Peter in to meet with him, which could only mean two things- either he did something so bad in the past however-many weeks we've been there or he's getting a calling. Seeing as we don't really know anyone in the ward just yet and with us being too busy to actually do anything wrong, I figured that it was probably the latter. Being the supportive wife that I am, I went with him to church about a half hour early (that and he took the car and I really didn't want to walk to church). When a counselor finally opened up his door, I was surprised that he not only invited Peter into his office, but me as well. We both walked in and sat down to the first thing that came out of the counselor's mouth, "Well, I'm sure you guys have probably figured why we called you here." We both nodded and Peter, joking around, said, "If it's not a nursery calling, we won't take it."

The counselor went silent and looked at me. "Actually we really wanted to call you guys to be our nursery leaders."

Peter and I both cheered and gave each other high fives and instantly accepted it. We had our first lesson that very day and we were very excited to meet the little ones that we would be teaching. The first kid showed up and, like we thought, started crying when his mom left. I instantly picked him up and started rocking him back and forth and within five minutes he was calm, the same thing happened with kid #2. Kid #3 walked around with an "it's all good" face on and she gave us no grief at all. All the other kids started coming in and we had a great time calming them down and trying to entertain them so they didn't think about how their mom's left them in a room with two strange people. At one point, one of the girls wouldn't stop giving me the look of death as we were having singing time and Peter couldn't stop laughing about while I was trying not to notice.
We were only in there for an hour but it was great and we can't wait to get to know our kids more. Hopefully that girl will stop giving me that look but I would say that's unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment